I READ CANADIAN DAY is a national day of celebration of Canadian books for young people. This is a day dedicated to ‘reading Canadian’ and will empower families, schools, libraries and organizations to host local activities and events within the week.
For example, libraries or book stores can create a local I Read Canadian display for a month, or host author and illustrator visits during the week of the I Read Canadian day. Schools or communities can create challenges to get more readers involved – see how many readers can read Canadian.
GOAL: The purpose of this event is to raise awareness of Canadian books and celebrate the richness, diversity and breadth of Canadian literature.
WHEN: February 17th, 2021.
ACTION: We challenge the nation to “Read Canadian” for 15 minutes and to share their experience at their library, in their school, with their families and friends, or on social media Young people are encouraged to read, or be read to, a Canadian book of their choice.
TOOLS FOR YOUR I READ CANADIAN DAY
- Press Release & info – 2021 – English | Français
- Toolkit – English | Français
- Letter size poster – English | Français
- Powerpoint Slide for presentations – English | Français
- Book recommendations for your Canadian reader – English | Français
- Scavenger Hunt – English | Français
- Scavenger Hunt & Ballot (credit: R. Robinson)
- Who’s Readin’ Whom Game – English (credit: A. Welsman)
- Orca Book Activity – First line matching game – English (credit: A. Wagner)
- Tips on how to host an author/illustrator – English
- Need I Read Canadian Clothing & Swag? Shop now
- Need lists of Canadian books? Visit our Building Readers page for a list of programs nationwide.
Simple text for Newsletters
I Read Canadian Day is a nationwide initiative that celebrates the richness, diversity and breadth of Canadian literature. Taking place on February 17, 2021, this celebration will empower families, schools, libraries, bookstores and organizations to host activities and events by reading Canadian books for just fifteen minutes. For more information, visit ireadcanadian.ca/day and sign up for free to participate. Help get the word out on social media by following @IReadCanadian and using the hashtag #IReadCanadian.
SUPPORTERS & SPONSORS FOR I READ CANADIAN DAY
- Access Copyright
- Orca Book Publishers
- The Different Drummer Bookstore
- Telling Tales Festival
NEWS/MEDIA (2020 Day)